Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Pricing Change

New pricing for orders of material from this site will come into place shortly. Charges for supply of digital images, digitisation on demand, prints and licensing will be altered. 

 

Kingsteps Quarry

Lithic Implement (Stone)(Period Unassigned)

Site Name Kingsteps Quarry

Classification Lithic Implement (Stone)(Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 15540

Site Number NH95NW 13

NGR NH 901 572

NGR Description NH c. 901 572

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/15540

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Bluesky International Limited 2025. Public Sector Viewing Terms

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Nairn
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Nairn
  • Former County Nairn

Archaeology Notes

NH95NW 13 c. 901 572.

A stone implement resembling a club or pestle was found at the Kingsteps Quarry in May, 1925. It measures 16 1/2 inches in length, and tapers from 2 3/8 by 2 1/8 inches at the head, to about 1 3/16 inches at the other end. It curves slightly to one side near the thin end. Donated to the Museum of the Society of Antiquaries, Edinburgh.

Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1926

A replica of this implement is in Nairn Museum. The disused quarries at Kingsteps are centred on NH 8987 5715, but the name appears at NH 901 572.

Visited by OS (EGC) 29 November 1961.

Activities

Reference (1926)

A stone implement resembling a club or pestle was found at the Kingsteps Quarry in May, 1925. It measures 16 1/2 inches in length, and tapers from 2 3/8 by 2 1/8 inches at the head, to about 1 3/16 inches at the other end. It curves slightly to one side near the thin end. Donated to the Museum of the Society of Antiquaries, Edinburgh.

Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1926

Field Visit (29 November 1961)

A replica of this implement is in Nairn Museum. The disused quarries at Kingsteps are centred on NH 8987 5715, but the name appears at NH 901 572.

Visited by OS (EGC) 29 November 1961.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions