Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Galashiels, Kingsknowe Drive, Kingsknowes Hotel

Hotel (19th Century)

Site Name Galashiels, Kingsknowe Drive, Kingsknowes Hotel

Classification Hotel (19th Century)

Canmore ID 99759

Site Number NT53SW 136

NGR NT 50741 34737

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/99759

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Galashiels
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Ettrick And Lauderdale
  • Former County Selkirkshire

Architecture Notes

NT53SW 136.00 NT 50741 34737

NT53SW 136.01 NT 50729 34718 Conservatory

ARCHITECT: H O Tarbolton

The building was visited in September 2008 as part of the Commissioners Field Trip

This fine baronial mansion was commissioned by the mill owner Adam Lees Cochrane of Netherdale Mill to be built on the high ground overlooking his mill in the valley to the Northeast and Abbotsford to the South. William Hay, later of Hay and Henderson, designed the red sandstone house 1868-9 with an enthusiastic approach to style incorporating Gothic, French and Scottish details. Although approached through a housing estate it retains its landscape setting to the East and South. The very fine Mackenzie and Moncur conservatory appears to be contemporary with the house and remains largely unaltered. H O Tarbolton made minor alterations to the house between 1905-11.

The principal rooms and stair hall retain many of their original features but the high quality coloured glass in the entrance hall screen and stair window was most probably installed by H O Tarbolton in the early twentieth century.

Information from Buildings of Scotland, Borders. (2006) Cruft, Dunbar and Fawcett p. 313 and Historic Scotland Statutory List Description and Notes.

RCAHMS STG 2008

Activities

Publication Account (2008)

This fine baronial mansion as commissioned by the mill owner, Adam Lees Cochrane of Netherdale Mill, and was built on high ground, overlooking his mill in the valley to the northeast and Abbotsford to the south. William Hay, later of Hay and Henderson, designed the red sandstone house in 1868-9 with an enthusiastic approach to style, incorporating Gothic, French and Scottish details. Although now approached through a housing estate, it retains its landscape setting to the east and south.

The very fine Mackenzie and Moncur conservatory appears to be contemporary with the house and remains largely unaltered. H O Tarbolton made minor alterations to the house between 1905-11.

The principal rooms and stair hall retain many of their original features but the high quality coloured glass in the entrance hall screen and stair window must have been installed by H O Tarbolton in the early twentieth century.

Information from ‘The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland, Commissioners’ Field Meeting 2008'.

Sbc Note

Visibility: This is an upstanding building.

Information from Scottish Borders Council.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions