Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Stromeferry Station

Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Stromeferry Station

Classification Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Strome Ferry Station

Canmore ID 99587

Site Number NG83SE 16

NGR NG 8651 3464

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/99587

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Lochalsh
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Skye And Lochalsh
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Recording Your Heritage Online

Stromeferry Viewed across Loch Carron by the old Macdonell stronghold of Strome Castle, this was for long an important crossing point and ferry terminal, with a pier of 1814 serving the Parliamentary road from Achnasheen. In 1870, Strome became the railhead for the Dingwall and Skye Railway, which was extended to Kyle of Lochalsh in 1897 after extensive works had been carried out to blast through the solid rock. The track was repositioned in 1971, when a new road was built along the old line. Station building now demolished.

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NG83SE 16 8651 3464

(Location cited as NG 866 347). Stromeferry Station, opened 1870 by the Dingwall and Skye Rly.

J R Hume 1977.

Strome Ferry Station. Opened by the Dingwall and Skye Rly on 19 August 1870. It remains in regular passenger use.

R V J Butt 1995.

Architecture Notes

NG83SE 16 Grid Ref.: NG 8654 3470

Source: O/S 1:10,000 Map, 1966.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions