Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Rona, Lighthouse

Lighthouse (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Rona, Lighthouse

Classification Lighthouse (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) South Rona Light; Inner Sound; Sound Of Raasay; Rona Ronaidh

Canmore ID 99577

Site Number NG66SW 3

NGR NG 63411 61137

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/99577

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Portree
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Skye And Lochalsh
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Lighthouse and Keeper's cottage, 1857, at the island's north end, automated in 1975.

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NG66SW 3.00 63411 61137

Lighthouse [NAT]

OS 1:10,560 map, 1966.

NG66SW 3.01 NG 63395 61154 Keepers' Cottages

'Rona. NE point'

Admiralty List of Lights 1980.

'South Rona [Light]'

K Allardyce and E M Hood 1986.

This island lighthouse stands near the N end of the elongated island of Rona (Rona Ronaidh), where it guards the northern entrances to the Sound of Raasay (to the W) and the Inner Sound (to the E). It was built by David Stevenson, being first lighted on 10 November 1857, and was converted to automatic operation in 1975.

This lighthouse has been termed South Rona to differentiate it from that (HW83SW 12, at HW 81753 32285) constructed in 1984 on the island of North Rona, to the NW of Cape Wrath.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 30 July 2008.

R W Munro 1979; S Krauskopf 2001.

Activities

Modification (1975)

Automated.

Note (30 July 2008)

This island lighthouse stands near the N end of the elongated island of Rona (Rona Ronaidh), where it guards the northern entrances to the Sound of Raasay (to the W) and the Inner Sound (to the E). It was built by David Stevenson, being first lighted on 10 November 1857, and was converted to automatic operation in 1975.

This lighthouse has been termed South Rona to differentiate it from that (HW83SW 12, at HW 81753 32285) constructed in 1984 on the island of North Rona, to the NW of Cape Wrath.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 30 July 2008.

R W Munro 1979; S Krauskopf 2001.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions