Skye, Uig Tower
Folly (Mid 19th Century), Tower (Mid 19th Century)
Site Name Skye, Uig Tower
Classification Folly (Mid 19th Century), Tower (Mid 19th Century)
Alternative Name(s) Round Tower
Canmore ID 99462
Site Number NG36SE 18
NGR NG 39555 63347
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/99462
- Council Highland
- Parish Snizort
- Former Region Highland
- Former District Skye And Lochalsh
- Former County Inverness-shire
Tower, c.1860. Drum-like folly guarding the bay from its southern headland opposite Rubha Idrigil. It was built for Major William Fraser, owner of Kilmuir estate from 1855. (The house, Uig Lodge, was washed away in the great flood of 1877 just after he had organised Sky's last clearances.)
Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk
Reference (1874)
The proprietor of the 'tower at Uig' is listed as Captain William Fraser of Kilmuir who also owned Uig Lodge etc.
Valuation Roll 1874
Reference (1915)
The proprietor of Uig Tower is listed as the Board of Agriculture of Scotland and the occupant as William Ross, gamekeeper.
Valuation Roll for the County of Inverness, 1914-15, Snizort, p.323
