Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Stichill House

Country House (19th Century), Settlement (Medieval)

Site Name Stichill House

Classification Country House (19th Century), Settlement (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Stichill Manse; Stichill Park

Canmore ID 97477

Site Number NT73NW 25

NGR NT 70184 39165

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/97477

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Stichill
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Roxburgh
  • Former County Roxburghshire

Accessing Scotland's Past Project

Stichill House was designed by the architect James Maitland Wardrop, and was built in 1866 for a member of the Baird family, the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire coal and iron masters. The main feature of the house was the entrance tower, which was over 30m high, allowing an excellent view of the surrounding landscape.

The massive three-storeyed house was built in French Renaissance style, which was popular in the late nineteenth century, though the domestic wing was of Scots seventeenth-century character.

Although the house was demolished in the mid-twentieth century, estate buildings, including the home farm and a dovecot, survive.

Text prepared by RCAHMS as part of the Accessing Scotland's Past project

Architecture Notes

NT73NW 25.00 70184 39165

NT73NW 25.01 71119 38340 Gateway

NT73NW 25.02 70703 39691 Home Farm

NT73NW 25.03 70805 39714 Dovecot

NMRS REFERENCE:

Architect - Thomas Bonnar - painted decoration in grand saloon

Stitchill House is depicted on the OS 2nd Edition map (Roxburghshire, sheet VI, 1921). It has since been demolished and all that remains are the Gatepiers.

Information from RCAHMS (HMLB), March 2002.

Activities

Sbc Note

Visibility: Evidence for this site, or the origins of this site, comes from documentary sources. Nothing may be visible at this location.

Information from SBC.

Sbc Note

The current buildings at Lairds Hill, Bulters Chase and Highfield are within the area of the medieval and early modern estate house, and possible tower, of Stichill. This appears on Pont's Map as distinct from Kirk of Stichill (the modern village) and shows on Roy's map as a long rectilinear building with two projecting wings to the south-east forming a semi-enclosed courtyard. Two outbuildings and an enclosure existed to the east in the approximate location of Highfield. The house sat within a designed landscape, much of which is apparently now gone. Roy's map shows a grand tree-lined avenue conecting Stichill House with Stichill 'toun'. The avenue ended at the kirk in Stitchill. 2007 aerial photos show two parallel linear cropmarks to the south-east of Lairds Hill which may correspond to the avenue.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions