Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Nenthorn Church

Church (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Nenthorn Church

Classification Church (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Nenthorn Parish Church; Clearways

Canmore ID 97012

Site Number NT63NE 16

NGR NT 68019 37344

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/97012

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Nenthorn
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Roxburgh
  • Former County Berwickshire

Accessing Scotland's Past Project

Nenthorn Church was built in 1802 to replace Nenthorn Old Church, which was located to the southwest of the village near Nenthorn House. The church, which is now a private house, was built in the Gothic style, using elements characteristic of medieval churches. There is a belfry above the western gable.

Two laird's lofts were created within the church. These galleries, which overlooked the main body of the church, enabled the local landowners - the lairds of Nenthorn and Newton Don - to sit apart from the rest of the parishioners.

The new church was located at the junction between two roads, which was a source of irritation to one former minister. Additional inconvenience was caused by the fact that there was insufficient room for a burial ground, with burials taking place in the old graveyard until a new cemetery was created near Burnbrae Farm.

After 1945, the parish of Nenthorn amalgamated with the parishes of Stichill and Hume. Even this measure failed to halt the decline in church attendance, and by 1972 numbers in the congregation had dropped so low that the church was closed.

Text prepared by RCAHMS as part of the Accessing Scotland's Past project

Archaeology Notes

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions