Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Greenlaw, The Square, Town Hall

County Building (19-20th Century), Court House (Period Unassigned), Town Hall (19-20th Century)

Site Name Greenlaw, The Square, Town Hall

Classification County Building (19-20th Century), Court House (Period Unassigned), Town Hall (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) County Buildings; County Hall; The Green; Court House

Canmore ID 96342

Site Number NT74NW 54

NGR NT 71139 46064

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/96342

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Greenlaw
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Berwickshire
  • Former County Berwickshire

Accessing Scotland's Past Project

Greenlaw's County Hall was designed by the architect Thomas Cunninghame and was built in 1829.

It is built of ashlar masonry in the Greek Revival style, with central domed hall and flanking pavilions.

The County Court also met in the Hall, and the dome contained a fireproof room in which legal documents were kept. Latterly, in the 1960s, this building had an unusual and short-lived use as a swimming pool.

Text prepared by RCAHMS as part of the Accessing Scotland's Past project

Architecture Notes

Architect: John Cunningham 1829-31

EXTERNAL REFERENCE

National Archives of Scotland:

Greenlaw. Rebuilding of the County Rooms

1. Letter from Sir David Milne to Sir William Hume Campbell. He reports that

the building has progressed satisfactorily and the rooms will be fininshed

the following week.

2. Letter from the Sheriff Clerk of Perth concerning the funding of County Buildings

in Perth.

3. Sir William Hume Campbell, now that the buildings upon The Green at Greenlaw

are finished, wishes the keys delivered in his name to the Sheriff.

1831 GD 158/774/1-4

Activities

Photographic Survey (1956)

Photographic survey of buildings in Greenlaw, Berwickshire, by the Scottish National Buildings Record in 1956.

Photographic Survey (13 February 1959)

Photographic survey of Greenlaw Town Hall, Berwickshire, by the Scottish National Buildings Record in February 1959.

Sbc Note

Visibility: This is an upstanding building.

Information from Scottish Borders Council.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions