Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kelso, Roxburgh Street, Walton Hall

Gateway(S) (Period Unassigned), House (19th Century), Wall (19th Century)

Site Name Kelso, Roxburgh Street, Walton Hall

Classification Gateway(S) (Period Unassigned), House (19th Century), Wall (19th Century)

Canmore ID 96053

Site Number NT73SW 196

NGR NT 72334 34309

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/96053

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Kelso
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Roxburgh
  • Former County Roxburghshire

Accessing Scotland's Past Project

Built in 1820, Walton Hall lies at the north-western end of Roxburgh Street, and was intended to be a summer residence or fishing lodge for John Ballantyne, the publisher of Sir Walter Scott's many books. Unfortunately Scott's friend never saw the house finished as his health was already failing when work began and he died before it was finished.

Walton Hall is an elegant single-storeyed building, square on plan. The doorway is set within an attractive Classical colonnade, and the whole building has been harled with exposed ashlar dressings. The slated roof has an octagonal cupola which is surmounted by a fish-shaped weathervane. A coach house and stables lie on either side of the house, while at the rear there is a projecting octagonal bay window.

Visitors to Walton Hall would enter into a hallway lit by the cupola, with colonnades running along either side of the room. From here visitors might be taken to the drawing room, an octagonal chamber at the centre of the house with a bay window overlooking the River Tweed which lay at the foot of the garden. Other rooms included bedrooms, each with an adjoining dressing room, and a dining room which featured a colonnade along one wall. Every room in the house has fine plaster mouldings, doors with decorative fingerplates, and ornate fireplaces.

Text prepared by RCAHMS as part of the Accessing Scotland's Past project

Architecture Notes

NT73SW 196.00 72334 34309

Built 1820, as a fishing lodge.

NT73SW 196.01 72323 34323 Stable Wing

Activities

Sbc Note

Visibility: This is an upstanding building.

Information from Scottish Borders Council.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions