Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kelso, Maxwell Lane, The Knowes, Waverley Lodge

Lodge (19th Century)

Site Name Kelso, Maxwell Lane, The Knowes, Waverley Lodge

Classification Lodge (19th Century)

Canmore ID 95987

Site Number NT73SW 94

NGR NT 73031 33848

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/95987

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Kelso
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Roxburgh
  • Former County Roxburghshire

Accessing Scotland's Past Project

Waverley Lodge lies on the corner of Maxwell Lane and The Knowes in Kelso. The house was built probably in the early nineteenth century and incorporates an earlier cottage where Sir Walter Scott resided in the spring of 1783. The building is rectangular on plan, standing two storeys high.

The association with the famous writer is immediately evident as a bust of Scott is displayed on the west gable. A statue of Maida, Scott's faithful hound, stands above the garden gateway. Waverley Lodge was enlarged with Tudor details in the mid-nineteenth century, this work probably coinciding with its use as a schoolhouse, as shown on the first edition of the Ordnance Survey 6-inch map of Roxburghshire (1860).

Text prepared by RCAHMS as part of the Accessing Scotland's Past project

Activities

Sbc Note

Visibility: This is an upstanding building.

Information from Scottish Borders Council.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions