Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Union Canal, Bridge No. 56

Bridge (Period Unassigned), Canal (Period Unassigned), Railway Siding (19-20th Century)

Site Name Union Canal, Bridge No. 56

Classification Bridge (Period Unassigned), Canal (Period Unassigned), Railway Siding (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Reddingmuirhead Road Bridge

Canmore ID 95518

Site Number NS97NW 61.01

NGR NS 9154 7812

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/95518

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Falkirk
  • Parish Grangemouth
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Falkirk
  • Former County Stirlingshire

Archaeology Notes

NS97NW 61.01 NS 9154 7812.

[This bridge carries Redingmuirhead Road over the Union Canal (built 1818-22, designer Hugh Baird), No.54, a typical bridge is described on NS97NW 61.02, q. v.]

(Undated) information in NMRS.

This bridge is shown on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Stirlingshire 1864, sheet XXX) carrying a track or minor road between a sawmill to the N and a coal pit to the S. On the 2nd edition of the OS 6-inch map (Stirlingshire 1899, sheet XXXne) the minor road runs between the sawmill and a smithy lying to the S of the canal. On the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1990) and on the OS Basic Scale digital map (2000) the road is marked as Station Road.

Information from RCAHMS (MD) 19 April 2001.

Activities

Watching Brief (7 January 2008 - 12 March 2008)

NS 9154 7812 – NS 9120 7809 A survey and watching brief on the S side of the Union Canal was undertaken

from 7 January–12 March 2008, before and during the development of a 295m stretch on the S side of the canal. The development took place in two stages; firstly the repair of the canal wall following dewatering and the establishment of new moorings, then ground-breaking work along the S bank of the canal to create an access path and service ducts.

The survey of the canal wall identified various structures such as original wall fabrics and repairs, crane posts, a swing bridge and a repair dock. The excavation of puddled clay below the canal wall also confirmed that the wall was built onto this waterproof lining.

The monitoring of the service trench excavation identified features associated with the railway siding that ran along the wharf, such as sleepers for rails and an enigmatic stone-built circular structure.

Archive: RCAHMS (intended)

Funder: British Waterways Scotland

Sarah Hogg (Kirkdale Archaeology), 2008

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions