Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

South Ronaldsay, Mossetter

Souterrain (Prehistoric)

Site Name South Ronaldsay, Mossetter

Classification Souterrain (Prehistoric)

Canmore ID 9544

Site Number ND48NW 16

NGR ND 447 860

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/9544

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Orkney Islands
  • Parish South Ronaldsay
  • Former Region Orkney Islands Area
  • Former District Orkney
  • Former County Orkney

Archaeology Notes

ND48NW 16 447 860

Many years ago an earth-house was discovered on the farm of Mosetter about midway between the shore of Loch of Lythe and Blows Moss. According to local information it was partially excavated and was found to have carefully built walls and a roof formed of large slabs. The opening made was filled in when the ground was cultivated, and no indications of its exact position are now visible.

RCAHMS 1946, visited 1929.

Believed by J Halcro (6 Erland Terrace, St Margaret's Hope) to have been in the area centred ND 447 860. He knows of the tradition, and believes the structure was discovered at least 100 years ago.

Visited by OS (ISS) 6 May 1973.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions