Old Torbeckhill
Copper Mine (18th Century) - (19th Century)
Site Name Old Torbeckhill
Classification Copper Mine (18th Century) - (19th Century)
Canmore ID 95415
Site Number NY27NW 68
NGR NY 23406 79262
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/95415
- Council Dumfries And Galloway
- Parish Middlebie
- Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
- Former District Annandale And Eskdale
- Former County Dumfries-shire
Field Visit (25 August 1993)
NY27NW 68 2340 7926
Mine (disused) [NAT]
OS 1:10,000 map, 1977.
An old copper mine is situated about 50m to the SW of the cottages at Old Torbeckhill (NY27NW 84.01). It has been driven 12.3m horizontally into the hillside, forming a rock-cut passage up to 1.5m wide and up to 2.5m high. On the S side of the entrance, there is a low rock-cut chamber, choked with rubble, which is no more than 1.5m deep. A grass-covered spoil dump lies downslope.
The mine is noted as an old copper mine on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Dumfriesshire, sheet lii, 1862), and may be the mine that was being worked by a German Company in 1723.
Visited by RCAHMS (ARW, JRS), 25 August 1993.
W Macfarlane 1906-8.
Listed as copper mine.
RCAHMS 1997.
