Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kirkcaldy, Nicol Street, Bethelfield Church

Church (19th Century), War Memorial (20th Century)

Site Name Kirkcaldy, Nicol Street, Bethelfield Church

Classification Church (19th Century), War Memorial (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Linktown Church Of Scotland; Bethelfield Place: War Memorial

Canmore ID 94278

Site Number NT29SE 146

NGR NT 27831 91033

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images


Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Kirkcaldy And Dysart
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Kirkcaldy
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NT29SE 146 27831 91033

Linktown Church [NAT]

OS (GIS) MasterMap, October 2009.

Location formerly entered in error as NT 2792 9120.

Architect: George Hay, 1831.

(Undated) information in NMRS.


Publication Account (1995)

Also technically outwith Kirkcaldy burgh, but with strong ties to their northerly neighbour, are three buildings in Linktown.

Bethelfield Church, Nicol Street, built in 1830-1 and opened in 1831, is a rectangular classic Secession church. Nearby, a dwelling house at 44 Nicol Street, once called Abbotshall House, was built about 1800. It later functioned as the office for Halley's dyeworks, which occupied many of the buildings of the first steam-powered mill in Kirkcaldy, the Abbotshall linen works. Although restored, the facade and the pillared entrance still reveal a substantial dwelling house, typical of the early nineteenth century. Next door, 46 Nicol Street, built in 1820, was once the home of John Methven, the Links Pottery owner. Nicol Street was originally known as Newton, and was built up from around 1790 on feus granted by the Fergusons of Raith. Although housing textile mills, it was still, in the nineteenth century, considered a sufficiently commodious area for the dwellings of wealthy factory owners, as indicated by these properties.

Information from ‘Historic Kirkcaldy: The Archaeological Implications of Development’ (1995).

Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions