Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Scrabster, Holborn Head Lighthouse And Keeper's House

Lighthouse (Period Unassigned), Lighthouse Keepers House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Scrabster, Holborn Head Lighthouse And Keeper's House

Classification Lighthouse (Period Unassigned), Lighthouse Keepers House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Holbourn Head; Holborn Head Lighthouse; Holburn Head; Little Head; Scrabster Roadstead

Canmore ID 93467

Site Number ND17SW 7

NGR ND 10669 70659

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/93467

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Thurso
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Caithness
  • Former County Caithness

Archaeology Notes

ND17SW 7.00 10669 70659

Holborn Head Lighthouse [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1985.

Holborn Head Lighthouse

(Flashing Red & White) [NAT]

OS (GIS) AIB, November 2006.

ND17SW 7.01 ND 10697 70713 Fog Signal

(Location cited as ND 102 703). Holburn Head Lighthouse, Scrabster. Established 1863, David and Thomas Stevenson, engineers. An unusual structure with a square tower terminating one wing of the two-storey, L-plan keepers' houses. The tower becomes octagonal just below a circular walkway. The lantern is of the small triangular-paned type, with a domed top.

J R Hume 1977.

(Name cited as Holburn Head).

Admiralty List of Lights 1980.

This shore lighthouse is situated on a clifftop about 0.5km NE of Scrabster Harbour (ND17SW 5.00). It overlooks the adjacent Scrabster Roadstead.

It was built as part of the major programme of 1854-78 by D and T Stevenson, and lighted in 1862. It was bombed by German aircraft in the Second World War, but remained undamaged. Electrification followed in 1976, and automation in 1988.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 7 November 2006.

R W Munro 1979; K Allardyce and E M Hood 1986; S Krauskopf 2001.

Activities

Construction (1861 - 1862)

(Location cited as ND 102 703). Holburn Head Lighthouse, Scrabster. Established 1863, David and Thomas Stevenson, engineers. An unusual structure with a square tower terminating one wing of the two-storey, L-plan keepers' houses. The tower becomes octagonal just below a circular walkway. The lantern is of the small triangular-paned type, with a domed top.

J R Hume 1977.

Modification (1988)

Automated in 1988.

R W Munro 1979

Change Of Use (2003)

Lighthouse decommissioned in 2003, now being converted into private accommodation.

Note (7 November 2006)

This lighthouse is situated on a clifftop about 0.5km NE of Scrabster Harbour (ND17SW 5.00). It overlooks the adjacent Scrabster Roadstead.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 7 November 2006.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions