Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lawers Acres, Old Lawers Village

Township (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Lawers Acres, Old Lawers Village

Classification Township (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 91848

Site Number NN63NE 42

NGR NN 684 395

NGR Description Centred NN 684 395

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Kenmore (Perth And Kinross)
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN63NE 42 centred 684 395.

NN 681 397 (centred) As part of an ongoing study of archaeological remains in glen Lochay and Loch Tayside by the Association of Certificated Field Archaeologists (ACFA), a survey of Milton of Lawers was carried out in October 1995. The site was drawn up at a scale of 1:1000 and individual features at 1:100 and 1:50. The remains recorded include: The Laird's House, Lawers Church (constructed 1669), two mills, nine other buildings, a corn-drying kiln, mill-lade, bridge, pier, a number of enclosues and a possible ice-house. The nearby graveyard was also surveyed and an inventory of grave inscription made.

D MacInnes 1995.

The remains of a deserted village represented by a series of well-preserved stone buildings of 17th-century and later date, and likely to contain buried archaeology dating to earlier periods.

Information from Historic Scotland, February 1996.

NN 68 39. In March 1996 Glasgow University Archaeology Department undertook the first season of the Ben Lawers Survey Programme on the N shore of Loch Tay. The work was designed as a survey teaching programme for students from the Archaeology Department and included both standing building and topographic survey, as well as archaeological assessment.

Survey concentrated on the laird's house, the church and the old village of Lawers. Substantial reuse of architectural dressed margins within the fabric of the laird's house and mill was identified. The mill clearly lies on a different alignment to its position as featured in Farquharson's 1769 plan of the area. The possible positions of two of the structures identified on Farquharson's plan were also located to the E of the current mill. The dressed margins clearly reflect reuse of fragments of an earlier church or laird's house, and large-scale reordering of the landscape around the village site must have been undertaken between the late 18th and early 19th centuries.

Sponsors: Hunter Marshall Trust, Glasgow University Archaeology Department.

A Morrison and J A Atkinson 1996

The pilot season of the Ben Lawers Historic Landscape Project was undertaken in July 1996 on the N side of Loch Tay.

Milton of Lawers

NN 68 39 Excavation of three trenches aimed at characterising deposits to the N of the church and within the old village of Lawers. Trench 1 (NN 683 394) revealed two phases of cobbling and an associated wall base, overlying a deep deposit of reposited material from which copper slag was recovered. It was unclear whether or not the walling represented a building or was related to the boundary of the church, though the latter interpretation is perhaps more likely. Trench 2 was targeted on a structure shown on Farquharson's 1769 plan (NN 684 395). No evidence of a structure was found, though the mill tailrace was located. Trench 3 was also targeted on a building represented on Farquharson's plan (NN 684 395), though once again no evidence for such was identified. It is likely that large-scale reordering of the village during the late 18th and early 19th centuries has removed all archaeological traces of the earlier village site.

A full report will be lodged with the NMRS.

Sponsors: National Trust for Scotland, Historic Scotland, Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, Russell Trust.

A Morrison and J A Atkinson 1996


Field Walking (12 June 2019)

GUARD Archaeology Limited undertook an archaeological desk-based assessment and walkover survey, conducted on 12th June 2019, of an area proposed for woodland creation at Duallin Farm in Perth and Kinross. The aims of the study were to assess evidence for the past human use of the area, its archaeological sensitivity, and the potential impact of any development upon the archaeological resource.

The cultural heritage assessment has found that the Site sits within an archaeological landscape that has been used for settlement and ritual purposes since prehistoric times. Within the Site itself are six cup marked or cup and ring marked stones. A further nine cup marked or cup and ring marked stones, one prehistoric hut circle (CHS 56) and a nationally significant stone circle are located within the 1 km buffer.

There are 16 post-medieval sites of local or lesser cultural heritage significance within the area proposed for woodland creation. These consist of agricultural remains, townships, small-scale industrial features, individual structures a trackway and a wall.

Cartographic evidence and aerial and satellite imagery indicate that the Site has been agricultural land and upland rough grazing since at least the mid eighteenth century. Given that prehistoric remains are known within the Site, there is good potential for the survival of hitherto unrecorded sub-surface archaeological remains within the area proposed for woodland creation. Consequently, Perth and Kinross Council may require the implementation of a programme of archaeological evaluation works to establish the presence or absence in those areas of the Site that will be subject to ground-breaking work.

A brief assessment of potential indirect effects upon the designated cultural heritage sites located within the 1 km buffer found that there would be no significant indirect effect upon the settings of Old Lawers Village, Settlement and Burial Ground Scheduled Monument, Lawers Toll House (CHS 31), Lawers Bridge (CHS 32), Lawers Smithy, Lawers Mill, or Lawers Burn, Peat Stores, Huts and Trackways, and Cup-marked Stones Scheduled Monument.

Information from: Karolina Saxerbo Sjoberg (Guard Archaeology) 14th June 2019

OASIS ID: guardarc1-355540


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions