Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Bonnybridge, Swing Bridge, Forth And Clyde Canal

Swing Bridge (20th Century)

Site Name Bonnybridge, Swing Bridge, Forth And Clyde Canal

Classification Swing Bridge (20th Century)

Canmore ID 91728

Site Number NS88SW 51

NGR NS 824 800

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/91728

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Falkirk
  • Parish Falkirk
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Falkirk
  • Former County Stirlingshire

Architecture Notes

NS88SW 51 NS 8241 8008.

Although this section of the canal is generally clear, the replacement of this bridge by an Armco culvert has caused a restriction of passage. The bridge carrying the modern road is above the culvert.

The Forth and Clyde Canal Guidebook 1991.

This bridge at Bonnybridge was originally a bascule or see-saw bridge.

G Hutton 1993.

The wooden bascule bridge was opened in 1900, following the re-routing of the road between Bonnybridge and High Bonnybridge found necessary as industry developed. prior to this, communication between the two areas was via a tunnel through which a burn, a paved road and a raised footpath passed, the canal crossing over this on an aqueduct (NS88SW 96).

The bascule bridge was replaced in 1936 by a steel swing bridge.

G Hutton 1998.

On the OS 1:1250 Basic Scale digital map (2000) and the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1984) this bridge is shown taking the B816 over the canal.

Information from RCAHMS (MD) 26 October 2000.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions