Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Inverasdale, Fhaighear Mhor (Firemore) Battery

Anti Aircraft Battery (20th Century)

Site Name Inverasdale, Fhaighear Mhor (Firemore) Battery

Classification Anti Aircraft Battery (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) E6; Mellangaun; Loch Ewe Defences; An Sguiteach

Canmore ID 91046

Site Number NG88NW 3

NGR NG 81984 87996

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/91046

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Gairloch
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NG88NW 3 81984 87996

For the accommodation camp see NG88NW 5

Anti-Aircraft Battery visible on vertical air photographs (RAF 540/888, 5140-42, flown 1952) with associated military camp (NG88NW 5).

Information from RCAHMS (DE) February 1996

This heavy anti-aircraft battery is situated on the road that goes to the former Government Research Station (NG88NW 6) at An Fhaighear Mhoir from the B 8057 public road. Four concrete gun emplacements are extant on both sides of the road along with the command post on the E side. The radar ramp for the GL-mat (gun-laying radar) is approximately 100m to the SE. The gun-emplacements are unusual in that they have been constructed by utilising cement (sand) bags without removing the contents, the shape of the bags still survives in the walls of the gun positions.

J Guy 2000; NMRS MS 810/10, Vol.1, 53, Vol.3, 23

This heavy anti-aircraft battery is situated in sand dunes at the narrow neck of land at the S end of An Fhaighear Mhor. Consisting of an arc of four gun-emplacements, of which three are to the W of the road around a command post on the E side of the road. The emplacements are constructed using a wet cement bag method which are then left to dry in situ, though some of the construction has also used the shuttered concrete method . All emplacements retain their holdfasts and all are now being utilised as caravan stances as the whole area is in use as a caravan site.

The radar ramp is situated in an area of boggy ground to the SE of the gun-emplacements, no other evidence of the Gl-mat was found on the date of visit.

The accommodation camp (NG88NW 5) for crew was situated to the SW over an area of the machar on both sides of the Uidh Chro and both sides of the B 8057 road.

The gun battery, radar ramp and about 35 hut bases are visible on RAF vertical air photographs (CPE/Scot/UK 183, 1011-1013, flown 8 October 1946). PRO records ( WO/166/11169) show that the battery was provided with a GL Mk 1A type radar set.

A 'handcraft' hut is situated to the SW but this has prbably been moved from it's original position.

Visited by RCAHMS, (DE, SW), August 2000

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions