Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Port Hamilton, Union Canal

Canal Basin (19th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, Port Hamilton, Union Canal

Classification Canal Basin (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Edinburgh And Glasgow Union Canal

Canmore ID 91038

Site Number NT27SW 83.05

NGR NT 24649 73090

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/91038

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SW 83.05 2464 7308

With Port Hopetoun (NT27SW 83.01, q.v.) being used to capacity, this second basin was built to handle coal traffic. Closed in 1922, it has been filled in and the site built over. The basin was named in honour of the Duke of Hamilton who put considerable effort into supplying Edinburgh with coal.

G Hutton 1993a.

The Co-operative Society building by Fountainbridge stands next to the site of Port Hamilton, and the presence of the Port Hamilton Tavern nearby indicates the past connection.

H Brown 1997.

Activities

Note

This basin was filled in during the early 20th century.

Information from RCAHMS (MMD and LK, 7.10.2013)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions