Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Loch Watenan North

Enclosure(S) (Period Unassigned), Farmstead (Period Unassigned), Track(S) (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Loch Watenan North

Classification Enclosure(S) (Period Unassigned), Farmstead (Period Unassigned), Track(S) (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 9096

Site Number ND34SW 85

NGR ND 32037 41520

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/9096

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Wick
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Caithness
  • Former County Caithness

Archaeology Notes

ND34SW 85 32037 41520

This farmstead comprises a subrectangular building with an adjoining enclosure and lies in unimproved pasture at the NE end of Loch Watenan. The building has three compartments and is set end-on into a low rise. It measures 12.5m from E to W by 2.5m transversely within walls now reduced to low stony banks spread up to 1.5m in thickness and 0.5m in height. The building was probably entered from the S, where there are a number of depressions along the line of the wall. The wall of its adjoining enclosure to the S can still be traced, and likewise that of an irregularly shaped enclosure to the SE, although in places its perimeter seems to be defined by little more than a band of field-cleared stones. A consumption cairn lies within the field to the SE (YARROWS04 415; ND 3202 4143), and two smaller enclosures have been built against the inner face of the field-wall. The first (YARROWS04 92) lies in the NW corner and measures 5m by 2.5m within low rubble walls; the second (YARROWS04 91) abuts the W side and measures 10.3m by 2.5m within low rubble walls.

The building is depicted roofed on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Caithness 1877, sheet xxix), and is shown together with its adjoining enclosure and larger field-enclosure. By contrast, the 2nd edition of the map (1907, sheet xxix) shows the building unroofed, with the previously improved field to the S having reverted back to uncultivated ground. Both maps, but especially the earlier, show the trackways that served the farmstead and these can still be followed across the moorland.

(YARROWS04 91-3, 415)

Visited by RCAHMS (ARG, ATW) 17 June 2004

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions