Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lanemark Brick Works

Brickworks (19th Century)-(20th Century), Colliery (19th Century)-(20th Century)

Site Name Lanemark Brick Works

Classification Brickworks (19th Century)-(20th Century), Colliery (19th Century)-(20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Afton Brickworks, Lanemark Colliery, Boigside No. 2

Canmore ID 90638

Site Number NS51SE 14

NGR NS 591 132

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Ayrshire
  • Parish New Cumnock
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Cumnock And Doon Valley
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

NS51SE 14 591 132.

Lanemark Brickworks was operational from about 1896 to the inter-war years. The only surviving traces are the remains of five round brick kilns.

NMRS MS/725/74.


Field Visit (1 June 2008 - 1 September 2009)

The NMRS and SMR record Lanemark Brick Works as being operational from c.1896 to the inter-war years. The only surviving remains are five round brick kilns (Richmond: 1994). The Brick Works is first depicted on the 1910 Edition OS map.

Information held in the National Archives of Scotland (Record Ref NRA(S) 1426) indicates that the colliery was operated by the Lanemark Coal Co. between 1864 and 1909. In 1909 the mine, in common with others in the area, was taken over by New Cumnock Collieries Ltd. The colliery

appears certainly to have closed prior to Nationalisation in 1947.

The colliery buildings and associated machinery have been dismantled and

removed. The former colliery site is now covered by heaps of mining spoil.

The remains of a possible furnace or kiln were recorded at 259076 613048, and four piles of medium sized stones each filling a dip in the ground (1m x 2m, 1m x 1m, 1m x 1.5m and 3m x 4m) were also identified at 259148 613047; these may be the remains of some other


The former, now abandoned, Brick Works, in the northern part of the site (NS 5895 1338), survives as a group of upstanding, roofed buildings and two tall brick chimneys.

Information from OASIS ID: cfaarcha1-74267 (G Mudie) 2009


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions