Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Gare Loch, Faslane, Royal Navy, Clyde Submarine Base

Naval Establishment (20th Century)

Site Name Gare Loch, Faslane, Royal Navy, Clyde Submarine Base

Classification Naval Establishment (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Hms Neptune; Port No.1; Gareloch; Firth Of Clyde; Inner Clyde Estuary

Canmore ID 90282

Site Number NS28NW 5

NGR NS 2450 8850

NGR Description Centred NS 2450 8850

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/90282

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Rhu
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Dumbarton
  • Former County Dunbartonshire

Architecture Notes

NS28NW 5.00 centred 2450 8850

NS28NW 5.01 NS 24416 89448 and NS 24573 89344 Building; Pier (Shiplift)

NS28NW 5.02 NS 24728 88714 Store

NS28NW 5.03 NS 24546 88303 Building (NTD building)

NS28NW 5.04 NS 24690 88429 Barrack (Wardroom)

NS28NW 5.05 NS 24645 88601 School (Polaris School)

NS28NW 5.06 NS 24607 88133 Building (Administrative building)

NS28NW 5.07 NS 24655 88053 Building (Mess and Recreation)

NS28NW 5.08 centred NS 24849 87895 Housing Estate

For associated married quarters area (NS 24 88), see NS28NW 7. For related armament depot and jetty, see NS29NW 11 and NS29NE 11.

NMRS REFERENCE:

PSA Negs catalogued under: NS28NW 7 (Faslane & Coulport Married Quarters).

Originally constructed during World War Two (WW II) as a deep water Emergency Port providing an alternative to Liverpool, Bristol and London. Remote from bombing raids, construction began during late 1940 not being ready until 1942. In April much of the northern part of the site was leased for shipbreaking to the Metal Industries Company and the Naval Port closed in 1946.

In 1954 a shore support building for hydrogen peroxide type submarines testing was built, this structure still exists today, and was recently in use to supply power to the modern submarine fleet. (1957, large Submarine Depot ships were based in the Loch in tandem with a floating dock. The floating Dock was sold in 1958 and Naval personell accommodated in various local 'houses'.

Subsequent to the late 1950's and after the establishment of the US Navy Nuclear Submarine Base in the Holy Loch, Faslane was chosen to house the new British Nuclear deterrent of Polaris Submarines. Following this, the shore establishment was built to support the nuclear submarine fleet, commencing in 1962. The N end of the former WW II continued in use for shipbreaking, but after the Ministry of Defence required more land for the base, it was taken over.

From 1962 onwards many barracks, buildings and structures were built to support the submarine base including a Polaris School, Sportsdome, Officers' and ratings accommodation, administrative blocks, mess and recreation blocks, an hospital, stores, power supply , married quarters and more recently in 1987 a 'shiplift' and 'finger jetty' capable of servicing the newer Vanguard class submarines.

A new road by-pass has also been constructed on the E side of the site and a new road built through Glen Fruin.

There was a Royal Navy presence in the Gare Loch during the First World War when the Shadon Hydro (ex West Shandon House, NS28NW 16), was taken over as a hospital.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions