Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Findo Gask Airfield, Accommodation Area

Military Camp (20th Century)

Site Name Findo Gask Airfield, Accommodation Area

Classification Military Camp (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Innergask; Dalreoch Bridge; Clathymore

Canmore ID 87771

Site Number NO02SW 31.01

NGR NO 0180 2053

NGR Description Centred NO 01802053, NO 01552025 and NO 01902094

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/87771

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Findo Gask
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NO02SW 31.01 0180 2053, 0155 2025 and 0190 2094

Camp Site (Disused) [NAT]

OS 1:2500 map, 1968.

The accommodation camp for Findo Gask airfield (NO02SW 31.00) is situated at Mayfield Wood. It is visible on RAF WW II vertical air photographs (NLA 71, 4061-4063, flown 9 September 1943), which show that the camp was spread over the wood in three main groups.

That centred at NO 0180 2053, would appear to consist of larger huts and buildings that are grouped together, suggesting that this is the general mess and stores area, whilst the other two areas centred at NO 0155 2025 and NO 0190 2094 are of the Nissen hut type suggesting accommodation. There is another group of Nissen huts in the wood,centred at NO 0185 2038.

Information from RCAHMS (DE), September 2005

Activities

Field Visit (December 2003 - February 2004)

A survey of Findo Gask Airfield undertaken by the Scottish Urban Archaeology Trust (SUAT) in adavance of residential development.

The site lies on high, fairly level ground on the Gask Ridge about 10km W of Perth.

The survey recorded a total of 66 features including extensive derelict buildings, including a T2 aircraft hangar, three-storey control tower (Royal Navy design), several blast shelters, huts, pyrotechnics store, radio hut, hard standings and the perimeter track. Buildings were constructed of steel, colliery produced bricks from various Fife sources, and in cellular concrete, a wartime austerity material. Some buildings had metal window frames inserted using metric specifications. The airfield was provided with three bi-directional grass runways.

The airfield was commissioned in 1941 and was originally intended as a Satellite Landing Ground (SLG) to Edzell (NO66NW 75.00), to provide storage areas for surplus aircraft and alternative landing facilites for other stations. The airfield was provided with a Battle Headquarters situated to the W. In 1944 all training functions moved to Tealing Airfield (NO43NW 51), and the site was utilised for a period by the Polish Army and thereafter by a Maintenance Unit for storage until 1948.

Scottish Urban Archaeological Trust MS 1752, March 2004

NO 0116 2129 A survey of the derelict airfield (NO02SW 31.00) between December 2003 and February 2004 recorded extensive WW2 buildings, including a large T2 hangar, an unusual three-storey control tower modified while under construction, blast shelters, various huts, a pyrotechnics store, an electrical sub-station, a radio broadcasting house, various hard standings, and the perimeter track. Buildings were constructed in steel, colliery bricks from various Fife sources, and in cellular concrete, a wartime austerity material. Some buildings used metal windows to metric specifications. The station was used by various training, operational and maintenance units, and by Polish forces.

Archive to be deposited in the NMRS.

Sponsor: A & J Stephen (Builders) Ltd.

D P Bowler 2004

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions