Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Inverurie, Harlaw Road, Great North Of Scotland Locomotive Works, Railway Housing

Transport Workers House(S) (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Inverurie, Harlaw Road, Great North Of Scotland Locomotive Works, Railway Housing

Classification Transport Workers House(S) (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) The Colony

Canmore ID 87460

Site Number NJ72SE 129

NGR NJ 770 222

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/87460

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Inverurie
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Gordon
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Former Great North of Scotland Railway. Works, Harlaw Road, 1898-1905, William Pickersgill. Created by the GNSR Company engineer as a replacement for their cramped site at Kittybrewster, Aberdeen. The single-storey, steel-framed, granite-clad works buildings covered an area of 41/2 acres; powered by the company's own generator; closed 31 December 1969. The surrounding railway housing, six blocks of two-storey granite houses, 1898-1905, and recreation facilities, developed a character so distinct from the burgh that it was known as 'The Colony'.

Taken from "Aberdeenshire: Donside and Strathbogie - An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Ian Shepherd, 2006. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NJ72SE 129 770 222

See also NJ72SE 121.00.

(Location cited as NJ 770 222). Built 1898-1905. A group of six blocks of two-storey granite houses, built to house workers in the Inverurie railway works (NJ72SE 121).

J R Hume 1977.

(Location cited as NJ c. 770 222).

NMRS, MS/712/72.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions