Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Caledonian Canal, Inverness, Muirtown Locks, Lock Keeper's Cottage

Lock Keepers Cottage (Post Medieval), Public House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Caledonian Canal, Inverness, Muirtown Locks, Lock Keeper's Cottage

Classification Lock Keepers Cottage (Post Medieval), Public House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Caledonian Canal, Ivy Cottage; Caley Inn

Canmore ID 87207

Site Number NH64NE 119.03

NGR NH 6534 4573

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/87207

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Inverness And Bona
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Inverness
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

Architecture Notes

See also NH64NE 119.00

NH64NE 119.01

NH64NE 119.02

NH64NE 119.04

Activities

Field Visit (November 2012 - November 2012)

Description:

At the bottom of Muirtown locks, to the east of the Caledonian Canal stand these two adjoined one and a half storey Gothic Revival cottages built of red sandstone under a gabled slate roof. The main entry for both cottages is from the canal side western elevation with a door at each end set beneath a square stone hood mould. Hood moulds also top the two ground floor windows located towards the centre of the elevation with first floor gabled dormers immediately above.

The northern gable wall displays a single centrally placed rectangular window on both the ground and first floors and each has plain stone surrounds. The southern elevation is a reflection of the northern one, although a modern single storey extension has been added to the south obscuring and perhaps adapting the ground floor window into a doorway. The eastern elevation is largely obscured by the proximity of a rear retaining wall and vegetation but from the car park behind it is possible to identify a blocked rectangular ground floor window at either end of the wall separated by a central single storey extension projecting east beneath a gabled slate roof. The eastern extensions gable wall has another two small windows side by side.

The interior of the building was not available for inspection

Historical Background:

The buildings relationship with the canal suggests that it was built as a pair of lock keepers cottages but it does not appear upon the 1821 or 1832 maps of Inverness suggesting it may have been a later addition to the canal. By 1875 however the cottages are visible upon the OS map in their present plan form.

From 20th/21st century photographs, including those from the John Hume Collection at RCAHMS, it is evident that the windows on the western elevation were once of three lights on the ground floor and two lights on the first floor, with stone dividing mullions but these have now been replaced by modern casements. Additionally the present casement windows on the northern elevation appear to replace two over two pane sash windows. There was also originally a centrally placed transverse chimney stack with four pots serving both cottages but this has also been removed. The photographs also demonstrate that the cottages were once enclosed within a small garden area, fenced to the west and north.

Visited by Scottish Canals, November 2012

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions