Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Clythness Lighthouse

Lighthouse (20th Century)

Site Name Clythness Lighthouse

Classification Lighthouse (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Ousbacky Lighthouse; Clyth Ness Lighthouse; North Sea

Canmore ID 8597

Site Number ND23NE 29

NGR ND 29072 36294

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/8597

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Latheron
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Caithness
  • Former County Caithness

Archaeology Notes

ND23NE 29 29072 36294

Clythness Lighthouse [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1977.

Location formerly entered as ND 2906 3629.

(Location cited as ND 291 364). Clythness Lighthouse, Ousbacky, established 1916, engineer D A Stevenson. A short three-storey tower with a circular lantern. The keepers' cottages are very plain, flat-roofed.

J R Hume 1977.

A small lighthouse built in 1916, and situated on a clifftop location within a compact compound also containing an ancillary building and keepers' house. Both the latter are single-storeyed and have flat roofs, and the house has been privately occupied since automation in 1964.

Information from RCAHMS (MKO), 2002.

This shore lighthouse was constructed in 1916 to a design by David A Stevenson, being a wartime measure to fill the gap between the lighthouses at Tarbat Ness (NH98NW 11.00) and Noss Head (ND35NE 1.00). It became a major automatic light in 1964.

The white tower is distinguished by its red band ('cummerbund'). The available map evidence depicts what appear to be ancillary buildings (possibly keepers' accommodation) at the base.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 26 January 2009.

R W Munro 1979; K Allardyce and E M Hood 1986; K Allardyce 1998; S Krauskopf 2001.

Activities

Construction (1916)

Light established in 1916.

K Allardyce 1998

Modification (1964)

Automated in 1964.

K Allardyce 1998

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions