Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Thurso, Princes Street, Castlegreen Manse, Castle Of Ormlie

Castle (Medieval)

Site Name Thurso, Princes Street, Castlegreen Manse, Castle Of Ormlie

Classification Castle (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Castrum De Thorsa; Castle Of Thurso; Thurso Castle

Canmore ID 8429

Site Number ND16NW 11

NGR ND 1124 6806

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/8429

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Thurso
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Caithness
  • Former County Caithness

Archaeology Notes

ND16NW 11 ND 1124 6806

(ND 1124 6806) Gastlegreen Manse (NAT)

on site of (NAT) Castle (NR)

OS 6" map, (1971).

See also:

ND16NW 384.00 ND 11246 68061 Castlegreen Manse (Greenacres)

The Castle of Thurso, also called the Castle of Ormly, built on rising ground termed the Brown Hill, was occupied by the Earls of Orkney. The foundations were dug up a few years ago and its well, about 20ft deep, strongly built and circuar from the bottom, was cleared out. Since then it has been filled in and obliterated. The manse was built on the site of the castle in 1818, some of the remaining stones being used to build it. The castle was destroyed by fire in the early 16th century.

Name Book 1872.

Torfaeus, writing of Castle Ormlie in the 17th century, speaks of it as Castrum de Thorsa, the seat of the Scandinavian Earls.

T Torfaeus 1866; W Campbell 1902.

There is no trace of a castle at the Manse. No further information obtained.

Visited by OS (E G C), 18 April 1962.

No change to the previous field report.

Visited by OS (J M), 30 September 1981.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions