Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Pricing Change

New pricing for orders of material from this site will come into place shortly. Charges for supply of digital images, digitisation on demand, prints and licensing will be altered. 

 

Minmore House

House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Minmore House

Classification House (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 83387

Site Number NJ12NE 22

NGR NJ 1961 2927

NGR Description Centred NJ 1961 2927

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/83387

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Bluesky International Limited 2025. Public Sector Viewing Terms

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Moray
  • Parish Inveravon
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Moray
  • Former County Banffshire

Accessing Scotland's Past Project

Minmore House was once home to Captain George Smith, the founder of the Glenlivet Distillery, who bought the farm in 1840 when he was already well-established in the whisky business.

The house is rectangular on plan, with wings added to the north and south. It may have been in existence prior to Smith's ownership, but it seems likely that at least some of the additions and alterations were carried out when he was the proprietor.

In 1858, Smith transferred his distillery operations to the Minmore site. As a result, this former farmhouse stands just to the north of an extensive distillery complex which still produces whisky.

Text prepared by RCAHMS as part of the Accessing Scotland's Past project

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions