Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Achanarras Farm

Broch (Iron Age)(Possible)

Site Name Achanarras Farm

Classification Broch (Iron Age)(Possible)

Canmore ID 8292

Site Number ND15NE 2

NGR ND 1511 5515

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Halkirk
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Caithness
  • Former County Caithness

Archaeology Notes

ND15NE 2 1511 5515.

(ND 1511 5515) Mound (NR)

OS 6" map, Caithness, 2nd ed., (1907)

Broch (NR) (site of)

OS 6" map, (1971)

This is a grassy mound, 25ft in diameter and 4ft high, which represents the remains of a broch.

Visited by OS (N K B) 11 November 1965.

All that can now be seen in the stack yard of Achanarras farm are the W slopes of a mound 1.0m high. The remainder has been either ploughed down or is at present covered by farm buildings so that the diameter of the mound cannot be properly ascertained.

Visited by OS (N K B) 11 November 1965.

Abutting the NW side of a farm steading is a level area some 19.0m across delimited by a well-defines scarp 0.4m high on the NW. Within this feature is a semi-circular stony bank slightly set in the ground and measuring 9.0m along the chord by 4.5m transversely by 0.3m maximum height. The latter is probably the grassy mound referred to by the RCAHMS; it could indicate the line of the SW half of a broch court.

Visited by OS (J M) 11 February 1982.


Publication Account (2002)

ND15 1 ACHANARRAS (‘Achanarras Farm’)

ND/1511 5515

The site of a possible broch in Halkirk, Caithness, which in 1910 consisted of a grassy mound 7.6m (25ft) in diameter and 1.2m (4ft) high [2]. There were traces of a semicircular bank which might have been the scanty remains of the wall of half a broch [1]. The site no longer exists [3].

Sources: 1. NMRS site no. ND 15 NE 2: 2. RCAHMS 1911b, 32, no. 99: 3. Swanson (ms) 1985, 655.

E W MacKie 2007


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions