Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Rangag

Standing Stone (Prehistoric)

Site Name Rangag

Classification Standing Stone (Prehistoric)

Alternative Name(s) Hill Of Rangag

Canmore ID 8274

Site Number ND14SE 5

NGR ND 1768 4488

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/8274

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Latheron
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Caithness
  • Former County Caithness

Archaeology Notes

ND14SE 5 1768 4488.

(ND 1768 4488) Standing Stone (NR)

OS 1;10,000 map, (1975)

A four-sided stone pillar, about 2ft 9ins square, standing to a height of 9ft 5ins above ground level. It seems to face E, and is tilted slightly towards the W. On its S face, near the W edge and about 3ft above ground level, are some raised markings which have the appearance of sculpture, but are probably natural.

RCAHMS 1911; R W Feachem 1963.

As described above.

Visited by OS (R L) 9 May 1967.

No change to the previous reports.

Visited by OS (N K B) 6 December 1982.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions