Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Arbroath, Hill Road, Grant's Shoe Factory

Factory (19th Century)

Site Name Arbroath, Hill Road, Grant's Shoe Factory

Classification Factory (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Marine Ballroom

Canmore ID 82303

Site Number NO64SW 105

NGR NO 64693 40844

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Angus
  • Parish Arbroath And St Vigeans
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Angus
  • Former County Angus

Archaeology Notes

NO64SW 105 64693 40844

This was Colin Grant's Shoe Factory, built 1882. Founded in 1862, this was one of the two famous shoemaking firms in the town. The portion onto Newgate has latterly been used as a bus depot. The frontage onto Hill Road is named 'Marine Ballroom' on the current 1:1250 OS map (1978).

Visited by RCAHMS (MKO) 12 January 1995

See NO64SW 104, former church used as Grant's factory currying house.

Angus District Libraries and Museums Services, pamphlet n.d.

Architecture Notes

NO64SW 105 64693 40844


In recent years the buildings was converted into the 'Marine Ballroom', but was disused by 1996.

Interior on two levels, both conversions to dance hall and bar. Decor is in 1970 and 1980s style.


Photographic Survey (28 February 2008)

Paintings by Polish soldiers during World War II.

Photographed by the Threatened Buildings Survey prior to re-covering.

Publication Account (2013)

Last reminder of the Angus boot industry. Twostorey stone building with turret, portholes and the base of a chimney at the corner. Converted to flats in 2008 after a period as a night club. Murals left by the Polish army of European townscapes were uncovered and recorded during the work in 2008

M watson, 2013


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions