Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Bonshaw Tileworks

Tile Works (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Bonshaw Tileworks

Classification Tile Works (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Bonshaw Tilekilns; Bonshaw Tile Works; Bonshawside; Kirtlebridge

Canmore ID 81437

Site Number NY27SW 28

NGR NY 2261 7275

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/81437

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Annan
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Annandale And Eskdale
  • Former County Dumfries-shire

Archaeology Notes

NY27SW 28 2261 7275

Bonshaw Tile Works entered use after 1857 and became disused about 1900. It is partly demolished, and has one kiln of Newcastle type.

G Douglas and M Oglethorpe 1993, visited 1987.

NMRS, MS/500/48/2.

Bonshaw Tile Works was established in the latter half of the 19th century, and is depicted on the 2nd edition of the OS 6-inch map (Dumfriesshire, sheet lviii, 1900). Of the buildings shown on this map, only the kiln survives, and this is a two-chamber example of the Newcastle type; the outline of the drying sheds and the other buildings are now indicated by a pattern of robber trenches. The map indicates a pond to the SE of the kiln; this was still waterfilled on the date of visit, but there is also evidence of several other dammed ponds, now breached, to the N. A tramway is also depicted, running from the processing plant to the clay pit, but only a short stretch now survives and the clay pit has been removed by the construction of the new motorway. Strewn across the area, there are fragments of red bricks and drainage tiles, but most of this appears to be wastage. The Tile Works was connected by a siding to the Kirtlebridge, Annan and Brayton Branch of the Caledonian Railway.

Visited by RCAHMS (ARW, SPH), 1 December 1994.

Bonshaw. Listed as tileworks.

RCAHMS 1997.

The monument consists of the upstanding remains of the former Bonshaw Tile Works, comprising a two-chambered Newcastle Kiln and associated earthworks marking the site of workshops, processing plant and drying sheds. The Bonshaw Tile Works was established in the latter half of the 19th century to produce lightly fired tile field drains and from 1896-1911 also produced common pressed red brick.

Information from Historic Scotland, scheduling document dated February 1998.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions