Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, 416 And 420 Great Western Road, Lansdowne United Presbyterian Church

Church (19th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, 416 And 420 Great Western Road, Lansdowne United Presbyterian Church

Classification Church (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) 433 North Woodside Road; Lansdowne Parish Church

Canmore ID 79848

Site Number NS56NE 190

NGR NS 57564 66942

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/79848

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Glasgow (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Architecture Notes

NS56NE 190 57564 66942

NMRS REFERENCE:

Architect: John Honeyman, 1863.

Large newscutting in 1.12 - catalogue number is hard to decipher and not given on catalogue slip

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

Mitchell Library

Annan Volume (2 - 58) ref b643498

Glasgow in Former Times Vol 2

- engraving

Site Management (14 December 2010)

T-plan early English apsidal church with tower and spire at SE. Coursed rubble with polished ashlar margins; slate roofs. West front: angle buttresses rising to columned pinnacles. Elaborate pointed arch porch with dog-tooth moulding: deeply recessed paired doors under moulded pointed arch supported on nook shafts of polished granite, with stiff leaf ashlar capitals. Porch flanked by deep buttresses with blind arcading continuing across to gabletted angle buttresses, gablet with roundel above arcading between buttresses. Stepped triple lancet above. Low pseudo-aisles, also butressed and with columned pinnacles. Transepts with 3 lancet windows over blind arcade. Tower in 3 stages: 1st stage buttressed with tripartite window over door; 2nd with 2-light louvered openings. 3rd stage more elaborate: plate tracery windows with gables, rising into spire; octagonal piers rise to pinnacles at angles. Tall very slender spire with niches and band of diaper work midway. Church surrounded by low ashlar wall with decorative cast-iron railings; intermediate gabled ashlar piers and gatepiers. (Historic Scotland)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions