Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Aberdeen, 71 Schoolhill, West United Free Church

Church (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Aberdeen, 71 Schoolhill, West United Free Church

Classification Church (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Albion And St Paul's Church; Congregational Church; Denburn Road; Triple Kirks

Canmore ID 79796

Site Number NJ90NW 174.03

NGR NJ 93869 06290

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/79796

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeen, City Of
  • Parish Aberdeen
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District City Of Aberdeen
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ90NW 174.03 93869 06290

See Architecture.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Aberdeen, West U.F Church.

Opened 1869.

Activities

Standing Building Recording (13 March 2012)

AOC Archaeology Group were commissioned by Stewart Milne Developments to undertake an historic building survey on the site of the former Triple Kirks, due to be partially demolished. The Triple Kirks buildings were constructed in 1843-4 to a design by architect Archibald Simpson as three churches created after a period of 'Disruption' in the nearby St Nicholas church, which caused the instigation of the creation of three new Free Churches. Built in the Early Pointed Gothic style, the three churches were built adjoining on one site in 7 months at a cost of around £5,300 and were largely built in granite rubble with brick dressings. In the 1960s, two of the churches and the tower and spire were left to deteriorate due to problems with dry rot and were eventually demolished (apart from the spire) in the 1990s. A Level 3 survey was undertaken of the building, which included an archive search, photographic, written and drawn record (annotation of architects' drawings).

Information from Oasis (aocarcha1-121411) 20 December 2013

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions