Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Fidra Lighthouse

Lighthouse (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Fidra Lighthouse

Classification Lighthouse (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Firth Of Forth

Canmore ID 79779

Site Number NT58NW 40

NGR NT 51223 86989

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/79779

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Lothian
  • Parish Dirleton
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District East Lothian
  • Former County East Lothian

Architecture Notes

NT58NW 40.00 51223 86989

NT58NW 40.01 51215 86998 Cottage Block, Cottage 1

NT58NW 40.02 51214 86991 Cottage Block, Cottage 2

NT58NW 40.03 51211 86982 Cottage Block, Cottage 3

This lighthouse was first lit in 1885, compulsory powers having been taken to acquire land for its construction. In 1970 it became the first Northern Lighthouse Board light to be converted to unattended automatic installation (monitored from St Abbs Head), being electrified with power supplied from the mainland through a submarine cable and equipped with a sealed beam light.

R W Munro 1979; K Allardyce and E M Hood 1986.

Site recorded by GUARD during the Coastal Assessment Survey for Historic Scotland, 'The Firth of Forth from Dunbar to the Coast of Fife' 1996.

Name: Fidra (1885)

Location: N56 4 W2 46 Firth of Forth, 16 miles NE of Leith

Designed and built: Thomas and David A Stevenson

Light first exhibited: 1885

Description: circular brick tower, painted white

Height of light above MHW: 113ft (34m)

Height of tower: 56ft (17m)

Light source and characteristics: W Gp Fl (4) ev 30 secs. Electricity 240V: 92,000cp: nominal range 20nm

Fog warning apparatus: None

Manning: unwatched (automatic since October 1970), monitored from Northern Lighthouse Board HQ, Edinburgh

The first group flashing light in Scotland

C Nicholson 1995.

Activities

Construction (1885)

Light established in 1885.

K Allardyce and E M Hood 1986

Modification (1970)

In 1970 it became the first Northern Lighthouse Board light to be converted to unattended automatic installation (monitored from St Abbs Head), being electrified with power supplied from the mainland through a submarine cable and equipped with a sealed beam light.

R W Munro 1979

Field Visit (1996)

Site recorded by GUARD during the Coastal Assessment Survey for Historic Scotland, 'The Firth of Forth from Dunbar to the Coast of Fife' 1996.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions