Glasgow, Govan Road, Fairfield Shipyard, Giant Cantilever Crane
Crane (20th Century)
Site Name Glasgow, Govan Road, Fairfield Shipyard, Giant Cantilever Crane
Classification Crane (20th Century)
Alternative Name(s) Titan Cantilever Crane; Bae Systems; Upper Clyde Shipbuilding Yard; Kvaerner Govan Shipyard
Canmore ID 79701
Site Number NS56NW 36.01
NGR NS 54687 66164
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
- Council Glasgow, City Of
- Parish Govan (city Of Glasgow)
- Former Region Strathclyde
- Former District City Of Glasgow
- Former County Lanarkshire
The Fairfield crane was built by Sir William Arrol and Co. (in collaboration with Stother and Pitt) in 1911 (200 tonnes, upgraded to 250 tonnes c.1941). The crane was given A-listed status in April 1989. The crane was dismantled in 2007 as part of site occupiers BAE Systems' plans to modernise the shipyard.
Thee are four cranes of this kind surviving on the River Clyde; the Finnieston/Stobcross crane, Glasgow (Cowans Sheldon and Co. of Carlisle, Cleveland Bridge and Engineering Co., 1931, 175 tonnes); the former John Brown Shipyard, Clydebank, West Dunbartonshire (Sir William Arrol and Co., 1907, 150 tonnes); the James Watt Dock crane, Greenock, Inverclyde (Sir William Arrol and Co., 1917, 150 tonnes); the former Barclay Curle/North British Diesel Engine Works crane, Glasgow (Sir William Arrol and Co., 1920, 150 tonnes).
Information from Martin Conlon, 1 July 2016
Titan Cantilever Crane, 1911, Sir William Arrol
200-ton, uprated c.1941 to 250-ton, giant cantilever Titan crane on east quay of fitting-out basin. Lattice girder tower on roller track. Asymmetrical cantilever track jib, with motor room and counterweight at short end.
Taken from "Greater Glasgow: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Sam Small, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk