Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Ploc An Rubha

Anti Aircraft Battery (20th Century), Gun Emplacement (20th Century), Jetty (20th Century), Nissen Hut(S) (20th Century)

Site Name Ploc An Rubha

Classification Anti Aircraft Battery (20th Century), Gun Emplacement (20th Century), Jetty (20th Century), Nissen Hut(S) (20th Century)

Canmore ID 79322

Site Number NG88SE 21.02

NGR NG 859 839

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/79322

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Gairloch
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Activities

Field Visit (8 June 1994)

NG88SE 21.02 859 839

The remains of five collapsed Nissen huts are situated on two terraces to the E and SE of the OS triangulation pillar on the top of Ploc an Rubha. The edges of the huts are marked by irregular lines of boulders and the stumps of timber posts, suggesting a raised wooden floor rather than the concrete bases at the two other locations on the peninsula (NG 851 835, NG88SE 21.01 and NG 849 835, NG88SE 21.03). Flat and corrugated (square-section) asbestos sheeting is littered across the terraces, together with C-shaped iron roof trusses and wooden louvred windows. Stone paths, about 1.2m across, connect some of the huts and run up to the circular gun-platform (probably for an anti-aircraft gun of about 20mm calibre (pers comm Mr R Mowat, RCAHMS)) just to the W of the triangulation pillar on the top of Ploc an Rubha. An iron water tank is located on the ridge to the E of the Nissen huts with a pipe running down to one of the huts (Inverewe 19). A second pipe runs from the tank down the hill to the SW to a concrete stance, beside a dam, which presumably supported a pump. The paths between the Nissen huts join and run down the hill to the SW, past the dam, and to a jetty in the bay. A second path, perhaps uncompleted, runs intermittently from the vicinity of the jetty to the W, for about 160m, in the direction of the two other groups of nissen huts on the peninsula (NG 88SE 21.01 and 21.03).

Four of the huts were standing in October 1946 (visible on RAF 1:10,000 vertical aerial photograph CPE/SCOT/UK/83 No. 4253) but by 1948 all were ruinous (visible on RAF vertical aerial photograph CPE/SCOT/321 No. 4382).

(Inverewe 17-22)

Visited by RCAHMS (DCC) 8 June 1994.

Field Visit (February 1998 - November 1998)

NTS Survey

Srp Note (2 November 2011)

The site is as described, with the addition of the following details:

the triangulation pillar is stone mortared (INVG017);

the gun emplacement immediately to its W is made up of fractured stones which cover an area c2.6m in diameter and the largest of the nissen huts is c11.5m by c5.5m;

the dam and stance (INVG009) are of concrete, as is the jetty (INVG008)

Information from NTS: INVG017-trig point; INVG010-gun emplacement, nissen huts, water tank; path; INVG009-path, pipe, dam, stance; INVG008-jetty (JH 1998)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions