Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

We have updated our mapping software and are trying out some new background mapping layers. Please let us know what you think by clicking here.

Kelty Junction, Aitkin Colliery

Colliery (Period Unassigned), Railway Junction (19-20th Century), Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Kelty Junction, Aitkin Colliery

Classification Colliery (Period Unassigned), Railway Junction (19-20th Century), Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Aitken Pit

Canmore ID 79305

Site Number NT19SE 33

NGR NT 1544 9479

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/79305

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Beath
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Dunfermline
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NT19SE 33 1544 9479

Opencast mining has removed Aitkin (or Aitken) Pit, and Kelty Station and Junction. The Aitkin Pit is first depicted on the OS 6-inch map in 1896, (Fifeshire, 1896, sheet xxxiv NE), and remained in use until 1963, the railway, closed in 1970, producing both house and steam coal. The mine had 2 shafts, one of 202 fathoms and the other, 95 fathoms deep. The mine was owned by the Fife Coal Company until nationalisation in 1947. (Cleish91 176)

Visited by RCAHMS (SH) 20 September 1991.

(Location cited as NT 1551 9481). AITKEN Colliery

Location: Kelty

Previous Owners: Fife Coal Company

Types of Coal: House, Steam and Navigation

Sinking/Production Commenced: 1895-9

Year Closed: 1963

Year Abandoned: 1969

Average Workforce: 1,249

Peak Workforce: 1,431

Peak Year: 1956

Shaft/Mine Details: 2 shafts, No. 1 (1896) 370m (NT 1551 9481), No. 2 (1923) 183m (NT 1555 9481) and sunk in 1923, linked to Lindsay Colliery [NT19SW 61].

Details in 1948: Average output 2,000 tons per day, 460,000 tons per annum. 1,368 employees. Baum-type washery (coal cleaning system using water and compressed air), National Coal Board (NCB) generated electricity at its own power station, the largest at any colliery in Scotland. Baths (1934, for 912 men, with 80 shower cubicles and steam-heated lockers), canteen, first-aid centre. Mechanisation of underground haulage already under way in 1947, introducing large mine cars, locomotive haulage and skip winding. Report dated 16-08-1948.

Other Details: Named after the Fife Coal Company's chairman, Thomas Aitken of Livingston. The first Fife Coal Company colliery, a showpiece pit, and at the time, said to be the largest coal mine in Scotland.

M K Oglethorpe 2006.

Aitken Colliery Baths, Fifeshire: (see SC 1073900) Opened: 25th August 1934. Acccommodation: 912 men. Cost: £13,635. Architect: JA Dempster, Miners' Welfare Committee.

Miners' Welfare Committee, 1935.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions