Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

Culloden Brick And Tile Works

Brickworks (Period Unassigned), Tile Works (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Culloden Brick And Tile Works

Classification Brickworks (Period Unassigned), Tile Works (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 78793

Site Number NH74NW 83

NGR NH 725 479

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/78793

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Inverness And Bona
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Inverness
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NH74NW 83 725 479

(Location cited as NH 726 479: Inverness-shire 01).

Culloden Brick and Tile Works.

Pre-1860 - post-1873. Site cleared.

G Douglas and M Oglethorpe 1993 (visited 1978).

NMRS, MS/500/51/3.

NH 725 479 A desk-based assessment was undertaken on the site of Culloden Brickworks (NMRS NH74NW 83) as part of a wider study of the history of the area around Petty Church. The brickworks were opened in 1847 and remained in use until 1891. The site is currently under arable grazing with no vestiges of buildings remaining.

Full report lodged with Highland SMR and the NMRS.

S Farrell 2001.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions