Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Brimside Tulloch

Broch (Iron Age)(Possible)

Site Name Brimside Tulloch

Classification Broch (Iron Age)(Possible)

Alternative Name(s) Burn Of Brimside

Canmore ID 7844

Site Number ND06NW 22

NGR ND 0495 6696

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/7844

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Thurso
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Caithness
  • Former County Caithness

Archaeology Notes

ND06NW 22 0495 6696.

(ND 0495 6696) Brimside Tulloch (Brough) (NR)

OS 6"map, Caithness, 2nd ed., (1907)

The overall diameter of this broch is some 58ft and the height of the remains 4 to 5ft. Much stone is exposed on the surface, including several portions of the outer face of the wall, but the broch does not seem to have been excavated.

RCAHMS 1911.

This broch, situated on the N bank of the Burn of Brimsdie, survives as a turf-covered, sub-circular mound, 1.4m maximum height and 19.0m overall diameter, with a depresion in the centre. It is strewn with rubble stones, some of which are earthfast. On the E side, a segment, 0.5m high, of the outer wall face of the broch can be discerned. Large deposits of similar stones are scattered along the N bank of the burn. Resurveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (N K B) 4 November 1964.

(ND 0495 6696) Brimside Tulloch (NAT) Broch (NR) (remains of)

OS 6"map, (1969)

The broch remains of Brimside Tulloch (name verified) are as described by the previous field investigator. Close to the broch on the E side is a stone block, 0.7m by 0.6m and 0.4m high, with a basin-shaped depression, 0.2m in diameter and 0.15m deep, in the top.

Visited by OS (J B) 28 September 1981.

Activities

Publication Account (2007)

ND06 1 BRIMSIDE TULLOCH ('Burn of Brimside')

ND/0495 6696

Probable broch in Thurso parish, Caithness, consisting of a turf-covered mound up to 1.4m (4.5ft) high on a rock outcrop on the north bank of the Burn of Brimside [1]. Part of the outer face is exposed in the east side, indicating an overall diameter of 19.0m (58ft). Nearby on the east side is a stone block with a basin-shaped depression in its top, 20cm in diameter and 15cm deep (see site NG15 1).

Sources: 1. NMRS site no. ND 06 NW 22: 2. RCAHMS 1911a, 119-20, no. 434: 3. Mercer 1985, 177, no. 173.

E W MacKie 2007

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions