Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Broubster Village

Village (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Broubster Village

Classification Village (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 7730

Site Number ND05NW 42

NGR ND 038 595

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/7730

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Reay
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Caithness
  • Former County Caithness

Archaeology Notes

ND05NW 42 038 595.

ND 038 595. The last inhabitant of Broubster Village left in 1952 (Information from W Forbes, Achiegallon Farm)

Visited by OS 13 November 1964.

What may be a planned village is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Caithness 1877, sheet xvi). It comprises four rows of buildings, one of which is partially roofed, round a square and nine buildings, one of which is partially roofed to the rear of the four rows.

Two of the rows are partially roofed, with the other two unroofed rows only part shown, and six unroofed buildings standing to the rear of the rows are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10,560 map (1963).

Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 15 September 1995.

Activities

Watching Brief (10 May 2010)

ND 03715 59735 A watching brief was undertaken on 10 May

2010 during groundworks associated with the construction

of a new house, access road and associated services N of

Broubster. A section of the N boundary dyke associated with

the 19th-century village [ND05NW 42] was removed during the construction

of the access road. The dyke consisted of a bank of rubble

field clearance and earth, containing small quantities of mid-

19th-century or later ceramics and glass.

Archive: Highland Council Archaeology Unit

Funder: C W Sutherland

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions