Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Tulloch Of Achavarn

Broch (Iron Age)

Site Name Tulloch Of Achavarn

Classification Broch (Iron Age)

Alternative Name(s) Loch Calder

Canmore ID 7645

Site Number ND05NE 29

NGR ND 0854 5962

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/7645

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Halkirk
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Caithness
  • Former County Caithness

Archaeology Notes

ND05NE 29 0854 5962.

(ND 0854 5962) Tulloch of Achavarn (NR)

OS 6" map, Caithness, 2nd ed., (1907)

About 130 yards S of Achavarn, on the E shore of Loch Calder, is the site of a broch. The structure, which has measured some 62ft in diameter, has been almost entirely removed. At some 4 or 5ft from its base is a low encircling bank or wall.

RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910.

All that remains of this mound are two almost concentric banks of earth and stone, caused by the intrusion of a robber trench 2.0m to 3.0m wide. The N segment of both banks has been removed. The inner bank, 7.0m wide and 1.6m high, has a diameter of some 14m. The outer bank, about 4.0m from the inner, is 3.5m wide and 0.6m high. There is little evidence left to suggest that this is the remains of a broch, but the siting is typical, and the robber trench around the circumference suggests that a broad wall has been quarried away. The remains of the mound measure over all some 28m in diameter.

Visited by OS (W D J) 9 April 1962.

(ND 0855 5962) Tulloch of Achavarn (NAT)

Broch (NR) (remains of)

OS 25" map, (1967)

Tulloch of Achavarn, the turf-covered remains of a broch as described in the previous field report.

Visited by OS (N K B) 16 September 1981.

Activities

Publication Account (2007)

ND05 3 TULLOCH OF ACHAVARN ('Achavarn', 'Loch Calder')

ND/0854 5962

Possible broch in Halkirk, Caithness, on the east shore of Loch Calder; the structure has been almost entirely removed [2]. Two low, almost concentric encircling banks surround the site and are the result of a robber trench some 16m in diameter [1]. This suggests that a massive wall has been quarried away.

Sources: 1. NMRS site no. ND 05 NE 29: 2. RCAHMS 1911a, 34-5, no. 112.

E W MacKie 2007

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions