Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Calton Hill, National Monument

Commemorative Monument (19th Century), Culvert (Period Unassigned), Temple (19th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, Calton Hill, National Monument

Classification Commemorative Monument (19th Century), Culvert (Period Unassigned), Temple (19th Century)

Canmore ID 75954

Site Number NT27SE 523

NGR NT 26299 74155

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/75954

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NT27SE 523 26299 74155

Information from catalogue slip

Architect: Charles Robert Cockerell 1822-30 (Assisted W.H. Playfair). Archibald Elliot also produced a design which was not executed

REFERENCE

SRO

1831, February 11. Minute of meeting of Directors of the National Monument of Scotland, recording their election of the Duke of Buccleuch as one of the presidents of the Royal Association of Contributors to the Movement and further minute dated 30 July 1831, of meaures taken to further the monument project. (2 items)

GD224/627/5

1816-1818. Printed proposals (one of 1816 and the other of 1818) for a national monument in Scotland to commemorate the victory at Waterloo. (2 items)

GD224/628/30

1838. Letters to the Duke of Buccleuch regarding the Nelson Monument, one from the Earl of Home on behalf of the Queen Dowager, Notifying a contribution of ?200, dated 7 June 1838; and one from the Duke of Wellington, agreeing to meet a deputation and hold a meeting on the subject. (2 items)

GD224/667/6/18

1835, July 8. Letter by Michael Linning, honorary secretary to the Royal Association of contributors to the National Monument of Scotland, to the Duke of Buccleuch, as to petitions to the king and lords for completion of the monument; and enclosing an address to the presidents and directors of the monument on hil (Linning's ) behalf, drawing attention to his personal financial contributions to the project, and asking that the Duke should submit the above petitions in the appropriated quarters. With copies of the two petitions. (4 items)

GD284/667/6/15

Information from Catalogue Slip

Art Union V 1843 Unfavourable comparison with Walhalla

EEC 1820 January 29

Report of meeting

In Ref to plan and site it was observed that Mr Elliot's very elegant and classical design based on the Pantheon in Rome..nothing yet decided but general impression that an 'Exact model of some of the most approved strutures of antiquitey' Consensus view.

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (9 March 2001)

Intended to be a copy of the Parthenon. All that was built and still remains is the base, twelve Doric, fluted columns and a plain entablature. This would have been the front of the building. The back contains a mound of earth covered in shrubs and trees.

The foundation stone was laid on 27 August 1822 during George IV's visit to Edinburgh, but the monument was not begun until 1826. Money was to be raised by public subscription, but insufficient funds were collected. The project was stopped, unfinished, in 1829.

Was to be a memorial to the fallen men of the Napoleonic Wars.

Inspected By : Emma Retson

Inscriptions : None Visible

Signatures : None Visible

Design period : 1816-1829

Notes : Being restored 2009

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0526)

Watching Brief (11 February 2008 - 15 February 2008)

NT 262 741 A watching brief was undertaken 11–15 February 2008 on ground-breaking works associated with the renewal of a stepped access route from Regent Street to Calton Hill. During these works the remains of a stone-lined culvert were uncovered beneath the sandstone stairs.

Archive: RCAHMS

Funder: City of Edinburgh Council

Sarah Lynchehaun (AOC Archaeology Group), 2008

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions