Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dunfermline, Pilmuir Street, Erskine And St Andrew's Parish Church

Boundary Wall (19th Century), Church (18th Century), Session House (19th Century), War Memorial(S) (20th Century)

Site Name Dunfermline, Pilmuir Street, Erskine And St Andrew's Parish Church

Classification Boundary Wall (19th Century), Church (18th Century), Session House (19th Century), War Memorial(S) (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Douglas Street; Queen Anne Street; War Memorial Plaques; United Free Church; St Andrew's Erskine Church

Canmore ID 75845

Site Number NT08NE 103

NGR NT 09181 87577

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/75845

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Dunfermline
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Dunfermline
  • Former County Fife

Architecture Notes

NT08NE 103 09192 87587

For adjacent statue of Erskine see NT08NE 104.

Architect: John Houston

A. Handyside Ritchie 1839 - statue of Ralph Erskine

MacFarlane 1798 - 1800.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Site Management (20 August 2007)

Session house to S and W porch (originally one of pair) constructed earlier-to-mid 19th century; hall extensions added to N/E later-late 19th century and 1985; alterations and interior recast 1897-99 by John Houston. 5-bay; rectangular-plan; plain classical former church (built as Secession chapel) with Renaissance porch added to S and other additions to N, E and W. Symmetrical design with pedimented gables with thermal windows to original structure.

This former church occupies a significant place in the history of the Dissenting Movement. It was built to replace an earlier building (situated slightly to the S) which had been home to a congregation founded in the early 1740's by the Rev Ralph Erskine, one of the founders of the Secession Movement. It remained in ecclesiastical use (as a Church of Scotland Church) until 1998, when it was sold for use as a creche. It was unfavourably described in 'The New Statistical Account of Scotland' (1845) as 'rearing its enormous rectilinear ridge over all the other buildings in Dunfermline, the Abbey Church itself not excepted' (Historic Environment Scotland List Entry)

Activities

Photographic Survey (1955)

Photographic survey by the Scottish National Buildings Record in 1955.

Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions