Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Auchmore

Dower House (17th Century)

Site Name Auchmore

Classification Dower House (17th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Allargue House, Dower-house

Canmore ID 75438

Site Number NJ20NE 14

NGR NJ 26380 09493

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/75438

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Strathdon
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Gordon
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Accessing Scotland's Past Project

Auchmore was built around 1650, as the dower house for the nearby Allargue House. In its current form the building is of eighteenth-century date.

The building is a two-storeyed structure, harled with a slated roof. Within the house, the interior is simply decorated, and includes the original bar and bar-hole behind the front door.

Dower houses were widow's residences, part of the estate left to a woman after her husband's death.

Text prepared by RCAHMS as part of the Accessing Scotland's Past project

Recording Your Heritage Online

Auchmore, c.1650. Formerly the dower-house of Allargue, a two-storey, three-window front with small piended dormer heads to left and right like eyebrows. Bar and barhole behind door. 18th century in present form.

Taken from "Aberdeenshire: Donside and Strathbogie - An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Ian Shepherd, 2006. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NJ20NE 14 26380 09493

See also:

NJ20NE 13.00 NJ 2594 0947 Allargue House

(Location cited as NJ 2630 0940). Auchmore, c.1650 but 18th century in present form: formerly the dower-house of Allargue, a two-storey, three-window front with small piened dormer heads to left and right like eyebrows. Bar and barhole behind door. Simple interior.

NMRS, MS/712/41.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions