Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Allargue House

Country House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Allargue House

Classification Country House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Allargue House Estate; Allargue House Policies

Canmore ID 75437

Site Number NJ20NE 13

NGR NJ 25942 09474

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/75437

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Strathdon
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Gordon
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Accessing Scotland's Past Project

Allargue House is a two-storeyed building located on steep ground in the upper part of the Don Valley. Originally built in the seventeenth century, it was substantially altered in the nineteenth century and further extended in the twentieth century.

The house was the seat of the Farquharsons, who lived here until the twentieth century. Kennels around the building indicate its recent use as a hunting lodge.

Text prepared by RCAHMS as part of the Accessing Scotland's Past project

Archaeology Notes

NJ20NE 13.00 25942 09474

NJ20NE 13.01 25838 09460 Allargue Stable Cottage

NJ20NE 13.02 2575 0920 Bridgend Farm Steading

NJ20NE 13.03 2566 0931 Rising Sun

NJ20NE 14 26380 09493 Auchmore (Allargue House, Dower House)

'Allargue House. A neat and commodious two storey house neatly situated on the south side of the Hill of Allargue: property of Mrs Farquharson.'

Name Book.

A comprehensive collection of records relating to Allargue House (including estimates and accounts for renovation and building works) is held at the house by Colonel and Mrs FMK Tuck.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM, JRS,), 18 July 1997.

This was the site of a manor or house [evidence not stated].

NMRS, MS/712/41.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

OWNER: Lady Agnes Forbes. (Source - Aberdeenshire 3rd Statistical Account. Pub. 1960.)

Small house originally 18th C. Addtns., in 1850 & front elevation added 1900. (C.H.C.)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions