Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Delnabo

House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Delnabo

Classification House (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 75384

Site Number NJ11NE 27

NGR NJ 16061 17042

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/75384

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Moray
  • Parish Kirkmichael (Moray)
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Moray
  • Former County Banffshire

Accessing Scotland's Past

Delnabo Lodge is an eighteenth-century house with nineteenth-century additions in Scots Baronial style.

These additions included a square, three-storeyed tower over the main entrance, and mock battlements around the wallhead, giving the building the appearance of a medieval castle.

There may have been been a house on this site since the medieval period, originally held by members of the Grant family, from their feudal superiors, the Gordons. It remained in the hands of the Grants until November 1891, when it passed to Colonel John George Smith, who was then the proprietor of Glenlivet Distillery.

Text prepared by RCAHMS as part of the Accessing Scotland's Past project at http://www.accessingscotlandspast.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions