Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

Langwell Tulloch

Broch (Iron Age)(Possible)

Site Name Langwell Tulloch

Classification Broch (Iron Age)(Possible)

Alternative Name(s) Langwell Water

Canmore ID 7525

Site Number ND02SE 10

NGR ND 0974 2231

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/7525

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Latheron
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Caithness
  • Former County Caithness

Archaeology Notes

ND02SE 10 0974 2231

(ND 0974 2231) Langwell Tulloch (NAT)

Broch (NR)

OS 6" map, (1964).

On the S side of the road up the Langwell Water and some 200 yds W of the wall which divides the woodlands from the moor beyond the garden, are the very confused remains of a construction. Much stone has been removed from it, and its original character is not apparent. It is known as 'Langwell Tulloch'.

RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910.

The mutilated remains of a broch, now a shapeless mass of rubble measuring approximately 28.0 by 32.0m. Part of the face of the outer wall of the broch is visible on the S side and a wall, probably later, forming an outer enclosure or annexe, encloses the broch on the W, S and E.

Visited by OS (W D J), 15 June 1960.

This broch is generally as described by the previous OS field investigator. Although it has been extensively robbed, the common Caithness 'mound on mound' profile is evident. The broch mound measures approximately 16.0m NE-SW by 14.5m and is 1.5m high.

Visited by OS (J B), 3 September 1982.

This broch was visited by Headland Archaeology in the course of a pre-afforestation survey (NMRS MS 899/15, no.16). A large stone and turf enclosure, extending N from the outer broch enclosure was recorded in addition to the broch remains previously noted by RCAHMS (1911).

C Moloney and L Baker (Headland Archaeology) 13 July 1998; NMRS, MS/899/93, no.17.

Site recorded during a survey undertaken of c.2 sq km of land either side of the Langwell Water, by Berriedale.

ND 0974 2231 Broch

Sponsor: Historic Scotland,

C Moloney and L Baker 1998.

Activities

Publication Account (2007)

ND02 1 LANGWELL TULLOCH ('Langwell Water 1')

ND/0974 2231

A probable broch in Latheron, Caithness, in the valley of the Langwell Water, and now a much-mutilated mass of rubble; part of the curved outer face of the wall is visible on the south [1]. The remains of the structure appear to be sited on an artificial mound [1]. A large stone- and-turf enclosure next to the broch was recorded later [3].

Sources: 1. NMRS site no. ND 02 SE 10: 2. RCAHMS 1911a, 83, no. 301: 3. Moloney and Baker 1998, 56-7.

E W MacKie 2007

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions