Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Delavorar

Farmstead (Period Unassigned), Lade (Period Unassigned), Mill (Period Unassigned), Mill Pond (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Delavorar

Classification Farmstead (Period Unassigned), Lade (Period Unassigned), Mill (Period Unassigned), Mill Pond (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 75144

Site Number NJ11NE 29

NGR NJ 167 158

NGR Description Centred NJ 167 158

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/75144

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Moray
  • Parish Kirkmichael (Moray)
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Moray
  • Former County Banffshire

Accessing Scotland's Past

The remains of a farmstead at Delavorar were investigated as part of a pre-afforestation survey carried out on the Glenavon Estate in 1992.

Amongst the outbuildings identified in association with the steading was a mill. Few traces of the actual mill building have survived, but the site of the mill pond and the course of the water channel, or lade, which ran between the pond and the mill itself can still be seen.

The farmstead at Delavorar post-dated the agricultural improvements that transformed farming in Scotland during the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries. Mills were a common feature on these post-improvement farms, as they allowed previously time-consuming tasks such as threshing to be carried out in a quicker and less labour intensive manner.

Text prepared by RCAHMS as part of the Accessing Scotland's Past project at http://www.accessingscotlandspast.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NJ11NE 29 167 158

There is a mill complex to the W of the large barn at Delavorar. It is depicted as roofed on the 1st edition of the Ordnance Survey 6-inch map, 1869.

Information from Mr A Dunwell (CFA) 1992

A farmstead comprising one unroofed building and three roofed buildings, two of which are long buildings of complex shape and one of these has an unroofed outshot, and a mill dam are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Banff-shire 1871, sheet lxiii). Two roofed buildings and one enclosure are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1973).

Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 19 February 1999

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions