Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Linlithgow, West Port, West Port House

Building(S) (17th Century), Unidentified Pottery

Site Name Linlithgow, West Port, West Port House

Classification Building(S) (17th Century), Unidentified Pottery

Canmore ID 74765

Site Number NS97NE 87

NGR NS 9965 7702

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/74765

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council West Lothian
  • Parish Linlithgow
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District West Lothian
  • Former County West Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NS97NE 87 996 770

Observed foundation trenches and surrounding area to rear of West Port House (at NS 9964 7703). Remains of dwellings and cobble floor c18th century. Some pottery in trenches but nothing earlier than 18th century. Sponsor: SDD, HBM, SUAT.

R Cachart 1989.

Activities

Publication Account (2000)

A standing house at the West Port, West Port House figure 10, is a reminder of some of the quality dwellings in the town, with its L-plan and stair turret in the corner. Completed in 1600 for James Hamilton of Silvertonhill, parts of the building, including the frontage, may be earlier. Now, however, it stands above the roadway, which was lowered sometime between 1790 and 1830 (seep 20). It is possible that the block facing the street is older, and traces of this earlier building can be seen on the north side, for example built-up windows and a circular shothole.

Information from ‘Historic Linlithgow: The Archaeological Implications of Development’ (2000).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions